Thursday, November 17, 2016

Twitter Censoring Alt Right Groups, What is Next? Use Steemit Instead!

Be careful on Twitter they are censoring users.

Twitter has Decided to Go Down a Slippery Slope.

For many the idea that a private company would censor a group that they do not agree with is palatable. The only problem is where does this censorship end? If every time we disagreed with a group, we shut off their voice we create an echo chamber of our own voice. We all know what happens when one groups ideas are the only prevailing voice in media.

One of My Teachers Showed Me This Long Ago. It Touched My Heart and I Have Been a Fan of Free Speech Ever Since.

Pastor Niemöller created multiple versions of the text during his career. The earliest speeches, written in 1946, list the communists, incurable patients, Jews or Jehovah's Witnesses, and civilians in countries occupied by Nazi Germany. In all versions, the impact is carefully built up, by going from the "smallest, most distant" group to the largest, Jewish, group, .... and then finally to himself as a by then outspoken critic of Nazism.

What Can We Do to Fight Censorship.

The key is to understand that it is not about the content of what the groups say. It is about group think. If we just allow a very small percentage of people to control the content we consume then the result will be a controlled society with little chance for an opposition group to rise.

Is this the type of world we want to live in? I sure don't want to live in a world like that! Over the years my ideas about life have changed thanks to exposure to other opinions. 20 years ago I was a Patriotic, flag waving Republican. Today I am a happy voluntaryist who does not believe in forcing others to accept my opinions. I can't imagine having a conversation with my former self, it would have been so frustrating. Thanks to other peoples opinions and my open mind I have changed the direction of my life.

Try to let people know that it is ok for companies like Twitter and Facebook to choose to censor but in the end they will become echo chambers of group think. It will no longer be a place of conversation but rather just echoes!

Why Use Steemit?

Steemit has been a breath of fresh air for me. It has been a place online where I can express my opinions freely. Sure I still have people who don't agree with my thoughts but that is ok. Conversation is part of life! What I love about Steemit is that people who are positive are rewarded and the negative troll types are left on the fringe but they are not forced to leave, like on Twitter.

Is their censorship on Steemit? I imagine a few people think there is due to the downvote button but in the end very few people use that option. We saw what happens when a small group of people start a downvote war.

Thor Says it Best.

 

 

I Will Continue to Use Twitter but I Understand that the Day Might Come When My Opinions Differ Too Much.

Start using other social media channels today to avoid what is happening on Twitter. I believe that Facebook will follow closely behind. If you are a free-thinking person then your opinions will probably clash with the group think. Prepare yourself today for the possible events that can happen tomorrow.

 

Find the Original Post on Steemit.

More Articles by Randy Hilarski Here: Twitter Censoring Alt Right Groups, What is Next? Use Steemit Instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment